Small Modular Reactors – Innovation in the Nuclear Industry
June 27 @ 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm
This presentation discusses the design features of the new SMRs and the advantages over current large water-cooled thermal reactors.
- Challenges with the Current Generation III+ Large Nuclear Reactors
- Small Modular Reactor Technologies
- Role of SMRs in Climate Change Mitigation
- Advantages of Various SMR Technologies
- SMR Development in Canada
- Policy Implications for Canadian and Provincial Governments
Our Presenter is Paul Acchione, M.Eng., P.Eng., FCAE
Paul has a B.A.Sc. and M.Eng. degrees in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Toronto. He is a member of ASME, ANS, IEEE and ISA and a fellow of the Canadian Academy of Engineering. Paul has over 45 years of engineering and management experience in the power generation industry. He worked for 31 years with Ontario Power Generation (OPG) and its predecessor companies. He is now a Management Consultant at Market Intelligence & Data Analysis Corporation and was the 2013-14 President and Chair of the Ontario Society of Professional Engineers (OSPE). Paul is currently a member of OSPE’s Energy Task Force.